After learning about the rise of Roman Civilization (Chapter 5 lecture), answer the following question. Follow the directions carefully in order to receive full credit.
Chapter 5 Lecture Question:
In my lecture, we discussed the establishment of a republican government for the Romans. If you were living in ancient times, would you have preferred to live under Athenian democracy or the Roman republican government?
Directions for Answering the Question:
- Using information from the lecture,
- Briefly define a republic and identify when it was first established by the Romans.
- Identify the various political offices and groups of the Roman republic and explain which class/es of Romans could serve in those offices and groups.
- Make sure to include the political offices/groups that were added later to make political power more equal in society.
- Note which type of government you would have preferred to live under.
- You must choose one type of government- Roman republicanism or Athenian democracy.
- Explain why you would have preferred that type of government using specific information and examples from the lecture.
- This question is specifically asking you about governments. Although you may also consider non-government topics like baths and religion, the focus of your answer should be on why you prefer one of the two governments.
- You may need to refer back to the Chapter 3 lecture to jog your memory about Athenian democracy and you are permitted to use information from that lecture in this answer.
Important Rules for all Lecture Questions:
- Only use information from the lecture to answer the question. These questions are intended to check that you watched and understood the lecture. If you use information from an outside source/s, your assignment will receive a zero.
- Fully explain your statements and include specific examples from the lecture.
- Explain all information in your own words. Do not quote or copy and paste from the lecture or my powerpoint. Doing so will earn your assignment a zero.
- Use good grammar, including complete sentences and correct punctuation. You may use bullet points, but the information you write out beside those bullet points should be complete sentences, not single words or sentence fragments.